Microfilm and Newspapers
Microfilm and Newspapers are hugely helpful resources that assist researchers by allowing them to look into our collective past. Napier Libraries staff are always happy to help if you need some help accessing and using the Microfilm and the newspaper archives.
Microfiche / Microfilm
Information available includes:
- Indexes to Births, Deaths, Marriages
- NZ Cemetery records
- Wises Post Office & Stones directories
- Turnbull Library's NZ Biographical Clippings
- A range of miscellaneous subject matter e.g. Turton's land deeds, some military & land records
Napier Libraries holds a wide selection of national newspapers and all the local and community newspapers. There is more information about those holdings here. Some of the highlights of our collection are:
- The (Napier) Daily Telegraph: all holdings since 1881 with some gaps
- The Hawkes Bay Herald: 1877-1904 (see also paperspast.natlib.govt.nz)
- Indexing of birth, death, marriage notices, obituaries from The (Napier) Daily Telegraph & Hawke's Bay Today: in three sequences (1986-1999, 2000-June 2002 and since July 2002) on our computer catalogues (OPACs).