If you're researching family history and genealogy, Napier Libraries has many great resources to help you on your journey of discovery.
We have a wide range of useful databases, which can be accessed on our Digital Content page. Three key resources are:
Ancestry unlocks the story of you with sources like censuses, vital records, immigration records, family histories, military records, court and legal documents, directories, photos, maps and more, with new content added daily. Ancestry Library Edition contains the UK and Ireland Census Collection, England and Wales Civil Registration Index, Immigration Collections and US Federal Census Collection data.
Please first login through the library online calalogue https://napier.spydus.co.nz/, login, then click home, then click on the database page link and then click on the Ancestry link. You must repeat this process every time you want access ancestory.
FamilySearch is bursting at the seams with great records from across the world including church, vital, census, land, probate, military and immigration records, as well as many other types of records and histories that can help you uncover your family tree. Napier Libraries are an Affiliate Member. You will need to sign up to the FamilySearch site the first time you use it and log in each time you use the site.
FindMyPast makes original historical documents available to search online so that you can explore a collection of over two billion records, find your ancestors, and trace your family tree from the comfort ofyour local library.
Note: FindMyPast is only available for use within the library.
Napier Libraries holds several collections that are useful in genealogy and family history research:
- Genealogy Collection - useful books on starting your genealogy research, specific research areas, heraldry, surnames, the Phillimore Atlas of Parish Registers and more.
- Heritage Collection - key titles about all aspects of New Zealand history, including biographies and secondary historical sources. This includes newspaper clippings of articles relating to Hawke's Bay, and Hawke's Bay buildings.
- Heritage Hawke's Bay Collection - an in depth collection covering family histories, local histories, the Oral History Archive, historical deposit plans, and more.
- Newspaper holdings - The Daily Telegraph since 1881, The Hawke's Bay Herald 1877-1904, and an index of birth, death, and marriage notices from The Daily Telegraph and Hawke's Bay Today.
- The Irene Lister Archive - located at Taradale this is a small collection of photographs, indexed records of Taradale people with births, marriages, and deaths, articles about Taradale people, events buildings, index cards refer to information found in books, cemetery records and private collections.
- Whakapapa - Māori Genealogy - a list of useful resurces.
Other Useful Resources:
- Billion Graves
- Building Your Family Tree Online - a beginner's guide
- Cyndi's List - a list of genealogy sites on the internet
- DNA Test Comparison - by SmarterHobby.com
- Free Births Deaths and Marriages UK - this contains the same information as the GRO index
- Freereg - records from UK parishes
- Hastings Cemeteries
- Jewish Genealogy
- Napier Cemeteries
- New Zealand Births, Deaths and Marriages
- New Zealand Society of Genealogists
- Scotland's People - find your Scottish ancestors
- Smarter Hobby Genealogy
- A guide to genealogy research in Europe
- United Kingdom Society of Genealogists
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services - history and genealogy
- United States Genweb project - free genealogy help for every US state and county.