The Language Collection includes language learning resources in over 50 languages, including audio books, picture dictionaries, grammar, bilingual dictionaries, and picture books. The Collection also includes handy travel-sized language dictionaries and phrasebooks that you can take on your next trip!
If you are learning English as a second language, you will find all the ESOL resources you need in the Language Collection, including easy reading novels, grammar, vocabulary and spelling guide books, English dictionaries, bilingual dictionaries, and IELTS practice material.
Working in a group? We have multiple copies of four titles that can be used for group learning:
PressReader delivers an endless stream of top news stories to read, discuss and share. Get full issues of thousands of newspaper and magazines from around the world just as they appear in print.
Note: to access from home, log in to the Napier Libraries catalogue, click Home, click Databases, click on the Healthy Food Guide link and you're ready to read.
The following titles are only available to view within the library using the PressReader website (not the app): Dominion Post, Manawatu Standard, Marlborough Standard, Nelson Mail, NZ Gardener, NZ House and Garden, Southland Times, Sunday News, Sunday Star Times, Taranaki Daily News, The Press, Timaru Herald, TV Guide, and Waikato Times.
Download the app:
Are you preparing for IELTS? Use the British Council's Road to IELTS to help develop the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills you need to succeed in the test. With over 300 interactive activities, including videos, times listening activities, mock test papers with model answers, and a progress feature to plan and monitor your learning.
Note: Log in with your library card. We only have one licence for IELTS, so if you can't access it at once, please try again later.
If you are using a tablet within the library, the tablet needs to be connected using the library's wifi. If the program can connect and find the library account, you will then be able to use the program with the same login account or by anonymous access. If you use a tablet outside the library, you can login using your email address PROVIDED you have already registered it using your tablet inside the library or your desktop browser from home.
Download the app:
Other Useful Resources:
- Activities for ESL Students: activities, quizzes and puzzles to help you learn English.
- Many Things: offers games, puzzles, and quizzes for English listening and pronunciation.
- Discover Business: TOEFL Study Guide with example questions, common exam mistakes, and additional study resources.
- Native Monks: learn English with native speakers via Skype
- The Ultimate Word Games Guide: a list of educational word games for learning English.
- SuperSummary Grammar Guide: a list of grammar resources.
English Language Testing:
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System is an international standardised test of English language proficiency for non-native speakers.
- TOEFL: Test for English as a Foreign Language is a standardised test of English language proficiency.
- ESL News New Zealand: listen to New Zealand news, spoken slowly and clearly, using easy vocabulary.
- The Voice of America’s special English: listen in slow, clear English that uses a limited vocabulary of about 1,500 words.
- English Language Learning Lab: listen to a range of speakers, and therefore accents, from many different countries, or play a vocabulary game.
- BBC’s Learning English: online British English language learning.