Frequently Asked Questions:
These are some of our most commonly asked questions. If you can't find the answer you're looking for please contact us for help.
Q. Can I return Napier library books in Taradale and vice versa?
- Yes, the books will be returned and then transported to the correct library.
Q. Do I need to log in to search the Library Catalogue?
- No you don't need to login to search the Library Catalogue. You will however need to identify yourself if you want to place a reservation or add a review to items as you browse through your search result sets. If you login before searching the Library Catalogue, Spydus will remember your details for the duration of your login session and you will not need to enter your details again to use these services. If you are not logged in, you will need to identify yourself for each transaction.
Q. What resources can I find in the Library Catalogue?
- The Library Catalogue contains information which describes items held in our local collection. This collection includes books, DVDs and magazines.
Q. How can I search for DVDs on the catalogue?
- Use the Quick Search option to search the Library Catalogue. Next to 'Anywhere', type the title that you are looking for and 'video*'.
Q. How do I find eBooks and eAudio Books?
- Check out our Digital Content for information about the eBooks and eAudio Books we have available.
Q. How can I place a reservation?
- In order to place a reservation, you first need to perform a search using the Library Catalogue. As you browse through the records retrieved by your search, you can place a reservation for individual titles or for a set of titles. Please refer to the section on placing reservations in the How To help page for details.
Q. How can I request items not held in the Library Catalogue?
- If you can't find the item you are looking for in our collection, we can usually obtain it for you using our Inter-Library Loan (ILL) service. Read more about the Inter-Library Loan service.
Q. Can I renew my loans online?
- Yes you can. Please refer to our catalogue how to page for details.
Q. What do I do if I have forgotten my PIN?
- If you have forgotten your PIN and we have a record of your email address, we can send you an email containing your current PIN. Please contact us if you don't have an email address.
Do the following to use this service:
- Visit the Forgot Your PIN? page
- Enter your borrower ID and your surname.
- Click the OK button.
- Your current PIN will be sent to your registered email address.
Q. Can I borrow books and other items from Hastings Libraries and other Libraries?
- Yes, you can. Find out information about our Cityloan service (with Hastings Libraries) and Inter-Library Loan service (with other libraries around New Zealand).
Q. Can I return a book or item from Hastings Libraries to Napier Libraries, and vice-versa?
- You can. We operate a courier service which delivers items between the Libraries in Napier and Hastings, saving you the trip. Please be aware that items are returned once they reach their home library. This service runs twice a week on a Monday and Thursday.
Q. What if I have other questions?
- If you any other questions on any topic, we'll do our best to find the answer for you. Please contact us and we will help you with your enquiry.