Health and Wellness Collection
The Health and Wellness Collection links people to a set of self-help books for a variety of health issues. Health professionals can also 'prescribe' books to their patients, which can be borrowed like any other library book. The Collection lets people learn more about their health issue in their own time, at their own convenience, to help manage their on-going recovery and wellness. Books are free to borrow.
People are strongly encouraged to discuss any health concerns they have about their well-being with their GP or preferred health professional.
- Cancer Society - offers information to health professionals, students and people with cancer. Provides details of research, support, risks and volunteering.
- Health and Wellness Resource Centre - access to more than 600 health magazines, journals, and reference books coving medicine, nutrition, diseases, pregnancy, health remedies and more.
- Health Navigator - provides useful and accurate consumer health information for New Zealanders. It is written and reviewed by medical writers, consumer health organisations and health professionals.
- Kids Health - provides useful health information for parents and caregivers.
- Medline Plus - learn about the latest treatments, look up information on a drug or supplement, find out the meanings of words, or view medical videos or illustrations. You can also find links to the latest medical research on your topic or find out about clinical trials on a disease or condition.
- Quitline Me Mutu - commited to helping all New Zealanders quit smoking.
- Reduce the Noise - help loved ones with sensory overload enjoy shopping - tools to help your loved one manage sensory overload.
- Sesame Street Autism Resources for parents - aimed at communities with children aged 2 to 5, this website offers resources to help families find ways to overcome common challenges and simplify everyday activities.
Medikidz titles are written by health professionals, and are peer reviewed by leading consultants. These books have been written to explain illness to children in a way that they will understand. Click on the topic below to view the titles available.
Health and wellness topics:
Click on the topic below that you would like to learn more about: