Hell Pizza Reading Challenge Is Going Online During The Nationwide Lockdown
Napier Libraries are running the HELL Reading Challenge for children in Years 1-8 again this March - December. During the nationwide lockdown we will be supporting children’s reading by accepting online report-ins!
What is the Hell Reading Challenge?
Read for Pizza! What could be better? This well-established programme has been hugely successful in getting kids reading — with the bonus of free pizza rewards. It has even hooked many reluctant readers into books. We’re thrilled about that, and in 2020 we want to help even more young readers discover the thrill of a great book.
How does the challenge work?
Children (Years 1-8) complete the pizza wheel by reading seven books, and then go to any HELL store and redeem it for a free 333 HELL Pizza… It’s that simple!
Normally children can come and see us to tell us about their reading and get their wheels stamped. During the nationwide lockdown they can report-in about their reading online!
Wheels will be available to be picked up at your closest library after the national lockdown is over.
Reporting in online
Tell us about what you have been reading
To report-in simply fill out the form at the bottom of this page...
Tell us your full name and a bit about the book you have been enjoying (or not enjoying!). You might like to write a review, to draw a picture and send it to us, or even record and send a small video.
Not sure what to say about your book? Try these sentence starters!
My favourite thing from this book is...
The most exciting part was when...
Something that surprised me was...
If I could change one thing to make this book (even) better, it would be...
My favourite character is... because...
I think ... would like this book because ...
The character that changed the most is ... . In the beginning they were... and by the end they were...
A librarian will email back and congratulate participants on their reading and progress. Once the Nationwide Lockdown is over, simply come and pick up the completed wheel at your designated closest library.
Just follow the rules below and then happy reading will lead to happy pizza eating.
- Every child/student must read 7 books to fill up their wheel to be able to receive their free 333 kids’ pizza from their local HELL store.
- There is no limit on the number of wheels a student can fill up between March and December, provided they are stamped and signed by a Hastings District Libraries staff member. However only ONE wheel can be redeemed at any one visit.
- Please also remember that after our Nationwide Lockdown HELL Pizza may be a little busy! Please be kind and considerate with staff members at these branches.
- The child/student must redeem their free pizza in person and before the expiry date.
- Each pizza wheel features detailed rules and regulations, as well as a serial number that links it to the issuing library.