English as a Second Language (ESOL)
The Library offers a small collection of resources to help develop English language skills and literacy for English as a second language learners. The ESOL collection includes easy reading novels, grammar, vocabulary and spelling guide books, English dictionaries, bilingual dictionaries, and IELTS practice material.
Take a look at some of our new ESOL titles:
The Library holds multiple copies of four titles that can be used for group learning:
- Activities for ESL Students: activities, quizzes and puzzles to help you learn English.
- Many Things: offers games, puzzles, and quizzes for English listening and pronunciation.
- Discover Business: TOEFL Study Guide with example questions, common exam mistakes, and additional study resources.
English Language Testing:
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System is an international standardised test of English language proficiency for non-native speakers.
- TOEFL: Test for English as a Foreign Language is a standardised test of English language proficiency.
- ESL News New Zealand: listen to New Zealand news, spoken slowly and clearly, using easy vocabulary.
- The Voice of America’s special English: listen in slow, clear English that uses a limited vocabulary of about 1,500 words.
- English Language Learning Lab: listen to a range of speakers, and therefore accents, from many different countries, or play a vocabulary game.
- BBC’s Learning English: online British English language learning.
Newspapers and magazines:
- Press Display: provides online, same-day access to more than 1700 newspapers and magazines from around the world.